It's not easy bringing up a princess-let alone THREE of them! Bekah (born Sept 2004), Maddy (born July 2006), and Isabelle (born Dec 2007), make for a lot of life lessons. Follow me as I teach them, learn from them, and watch them bloom! There are some things we're learning together, but other things, let's just say I'm a bit of a know it all, or so I wish!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Explore. Dream. Discover.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover"
~~Mark Twain

What things come to mind when you read this? What things are you keeping in the safe harbor?

20 years from now, I don't want to regret that I didn't take more time to kiss boo-boo's, make messy projects, play dress-up, listen to outlandish stories, make more forts, eat crazy foods at silly times, sing lullabies, paint fingernails, have tickle wars, go star-gazing, bike riding, or stop to smell the roses.

No one says to their grown children, "man, I wish I would have spent more time house-keeping." or, "I wish I would have stayed in bed longer/played on facebook/watched TV more." What is so important that I miss opportunities with my girls?!
  • What is so difficult about stopping to hear Bekah explain to me the complexities of how the guinea pig is playing with his chewy toy?
  • Why is it so difficult to pick up a hurt Maddy and just cradle her, sing to her, and make everything okay?
  • Why is it so time consuming to get off the porch to give Izzy an underdog on the swing set?

Being more attentive to my children is something I want to be better at. Afterall, 20 years from
now, I want to be able to say that I did "Explore. Dream. Discover." at every opportunity with my kids! Plus, they are very entertaining and cute!

Seriously take a moment to consider how Twain's comment applies to you in this season of your life...

1 comment:

  1. This is good. I need to be more intentional about making time for inviting people into my life, that & just let it happen more spontaneously, and to enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete