It's not easy bringing up a princess-let alone THREE of them! Bekah (born Sept 2004), Maddy (born July 2006), and Isabelle (born Dec 2007), make for a lot of life lessons. Follow me as I teach them, learn from them, and watch them bloom! There are some things we're learning together, but other things, let's just say I'm a bit of a know it all, or so I wish!

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Movie Review :: Gnomeo & Juliet

Bekah and Maddy were invited to a Birthday party today. Leaving Izzy to a date with just Mom and Dad. We decided a movie was a great way to make the afternoon special. So, we made our way to the $1.50 theater in town. Izzy chose Gnomeo & Juliet over Rango.

Let me start by saying that I am in TOTAL support of movie makers creating Rated G movies! It just doesn't happen much anymore. And like the difference between 6 and 7 on my TV's volume, there's a huge leap between G and PG sometimes.

This movie is a re-make of Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. There are the reds (Montague) and the Blues (Capulets), two families (these families are yard gnomes) feuding for generations. Of course, Gnomeo Capulet falls in love with Juliet Montague-- a forbidden love. The whole time, I'm wondering how they're going to make such a tragic love story into a kids' movie, but I was actually surprised how well they did it in a WAY LESS TRAGIC way (without ruining any endings for you). All in all a cute movie. I was quite impressed with this movie that received nearly no recognition or kind ratings.

There is one main problem, however, with this movie. It is a blatant love story. One with rebellion, full-mouth kisses, and the end of the world when it doesn't seem like it's going to work out. Cute for me and my not-so-interested-in-boys-in-that-way daughter. NOT cute for my 4 year old that is just plain boy crazy (who just happened to be at a princess Birthday party)! In the end, Chuck, Isabelle, and I agreed it was a good movie--worth our time and $1.50. However, not a movie I will be allowing my 4 year old to watch. She doesn't need any help getting ideas about love from the media.

You might think I'm overreacting. I'm pretty secure on this stance. Click here for a GREAT article that does a fabulous job giving reason for my stance on this issue.
“Don’t excite love, don’t stir it up, until the time is ripe and you’re ready.”~ Song of Solomon 2:7

No comments:

Post a Comment