It's not easy bringing up a princess-let alone THREE of them! Bekah (born Sept 2004), Maddy (born July 2006), and Isabelle (born Dec 2007), make for a lot of life lessons. Follow me as I teach them, learn from them, and watch them bloom! There are some things we're learning together, but other things, let's just say I'm a bit of a know it all, or so I wish!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Journey of Health

About twice a year, I get uber motivated and start eating better, working out, and losing weight. I mentioned in a previous blog, that I was going to start training for a 5k (click here for a training plan)again. Well, I wouldn't say I'm motivated, so I guess I just have to fake it this time. I have GOT to do something about this. The girls did a couple of free tennis workshops through Willamalane and I love that they're learning to be active! But I can't teach them to be active and healthy if I'm not willing to do it myself.

At my heaviest, when I graduated from college in '03, I weighed 250 pounds. Between some hard work, and some sickly pregnancies, I managed to get down to 205. That was 9 months ago and I've gained about 15 pounds since that dreamy vacation to Jamaica (where I threw my new eating habits and exercise routines out the window). I had one meager attempt at it since then, but that ended quickly with yet another vacation.

Today, May 20, 2011, I determined to get to work, and to do it semi-publicly as a means of accountability. I used my elliptical for 30 minutes today burning 260 calories, running 2.3 miles. Then I spent 10 minutes doing some yoga stretches. I'd like to get it to where I can run 3.2 miles in 30 minutes on the elliptical (not sure how that will translate to running outside).

Notice the mess all around in the picture. There's laundry piled on the couch (in my defense, much of it folded), and kid toys on the floor. Since that stuff's not usually a priority anyway, why make it a priority over a good workout?

When I lose my first 10 pounds, I need some good running shoes. These ones make my feet feel numb well before the end of mile one and therefore, get thrown off. There's the short-term goal and the reward. When I'm below 200, Connie and I are going to the Cheesecake Factory in Portland (to SHARE a slice of cheese cake).

What are your goals (weight loss or otherwise)? What gets you motivated?

3 comments:

  1. If you decide to barefoot run like Kelley you could save money on new shoes:)
    I LOVE working out! I go to the Y at 5:30am or so 5 days a week. I feel accomplished starting out my day early and having something checked off my list before the kids are even up. Also, not much can mess with an early morning routine:) My sister in law just had her 4th baby and loves the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels. I just ordered it and am trying that in addition to my regular workouts to see if I notice a difference. The bonus with the dvd workout is the girls like to join me when I do it. Good luck to you Anne! I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might have to look into this barefoot run thing! I do love working out when I'm doing it, but when I get out of routine, it's so hard to get back into it! I do love workout videos though! My cable company has TONS of them for free on-demand. Plus, I know that exercise.tv has free ones too. I still have Bob Harper's yoga workout. I need to bust that one out again!! Thanks for the encouragement, Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Anna, Brian and I are working on trying to be active again! Good shoes will make all the difference, have you been to eugene running company? They are great and worth the investment for sure.
    My goal is to be back down to wedding weight (first goal) and then down another 25lbs after that.

    ReplyDelete