It's not easy bringing up a princess-let alone THREE of them! Bekah (born Sept 2004), Maddy (born July 2006), and Isabelle (born Dec 2007), make for a lot of life lessons. Follow me as I teach them, learn from them, and watch them bloom! There are some things we're learning together, but other things, let's just say I'm a bit of a know it all, or so I wish!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Money saved equals pedicures gained?

Today I was given the opportunity to share my love for homemade cleaning and beauty supplies at church with some really fun ladies. My husband laughed when I said that I was going to teach a homemaking class because, as my close friends know, cleaning/organizing are not my strong-suit. They're barely on my list. I am good, however, at being a super cheap tightwad.

This class was a ton of fun! It fills me to the brim to be around groups of ladies (particularly being the center of attention for a while *wink wink*). As you know, I have been loving making laundry soap, dishwasher detergent, and all purpose cleaner. Today, I used the teaching opportunity to try some new recipes out that I have been putting off. It energized my passion for this stuff!

soap. I loved the toothpaste (even came home to use it with my toothbrush, as opposed to my finger in class)! I keep running my tongue over my teeth to feel how smooth they are! It's sorta like I just went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned. The deodorant is a little goopier than I anticipated, but I'm sure I can add more baking soda and cornstarch. As for now, I'm storing it in my fridge. The verdict is still out on the all purpose cleaner. It did remove a pen mark off the table during the class, though.

And I even learned new things!
  • You can use old soap stubs to add to the laundry detergent and save on FelsNaptha.
  • For yummy smelling laundry (something I've missed with the homemade detergent and the recent allergic reaction to fabric softening sheets): put a few drops of essential oil on a wash cloth or paper towel and throw it in the dryer (too much can be dangerous though).
  • For static cling: add a ball of aluminum foil to the dryer! Reuse over and over and over!
  • Store homemade deodorant and toothpaste in baby food jars.
  • Don't confuse the deodorant with the toothpaste. The deodorant may be edible but it kinda tastes like vaseline!
  • Citric acid is optional in the dishwasher detergent (in fact I heard it counteracts the washing soda, not sure how true that is). I'm still toying with that recipe to find what I like.
I'm excited to do this again! Next time, imagine the things I will learn as the student!

Enjoy your homemade cleaning/body care supplies making! Feel free to add any links or recipes that you have, and if you've used em or not! Oh that would be fun to read! Who knows, if you save enough money (which you will), you can use that extra moolah for a pedicure!

2 comments:

  1. So funny and fun to read! Why do I get the impression you accidentally brushed your teeth with the deodorant? lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you had fun Anne! Thanks for sharing:) You always make me smile.

    ReplyDelete